Jobs to be doing in the garden in May
By John Brennan, 10/06/2019
Spring bulbs are beginning to fade and our herbaceous plants are starting to green up and grow, it feels like summer is approaching. It’s time to be sowing some seeds and mowing the lawn regularly as it’ll be responding to the warmer temperatures and more sunshine.
Have a look at some of these things to be done now in our gardens:
1. Regularly hoe off weeds
2. If it’s dry and your plants need some water, water early and late to get the most out of your water, recycle water when possible
3. Mow lawns weekly or as needed
4. Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges
5. Watch out for viburnum beetle and lily beetle grubs
6. Sowings can be made of dill, fennel, hyssop, parsley and thyme.
7. Sow hardy annuals, such as love-in-a-mist and pot marigolds, as well as native wildflowers, into gaps in borders
8. Reinvigorate mature clumps of hardy perennials, such as hostas, asters and daylilies, by dividing and replanting
9. Add aquatic plants, such as waterlilies and irises, to garden ponds
10. Sow sunflowers in a sunny, open site, then water regularly and protect seedlings from slugs and snails
11. Tie in the new shoots of climbing plants, including clematis, wisteria and honeysuckle, to their supports